Clinical Laboratory Sciences admission information
The electronic portions of the application procedures (including letters of references) must be submitted no later than midnight on April 1. In addition, all transcripts must be received (not postmarked) in the Office of Admissions on or before April 1. Late applications will be accepted if space is available. Please contact the office of the chair at (804) 828-9469 if attempting to apply after the deadline.
Those who hold MLT/CLT certification or are eligible for certification may also apply for spring entry. The spring deadline is Nov. 1.
Review and understand all information provided on the Clinical Laboratory Sciences website for in-depth information on the admission process and your responsibilities. Specific information regarding deadlines, references, technical standards, criminal background checks, prerequisite courses and other admission requirements is only available on the departmental website. Failure to meet these responsibilities will result in the application being considered incomplete. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Applicants apply and submit supporting documentation electronically. It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure the application is complete and on time. You will receive a confirmation immediately upon submission of your documentation. Please allow 10 business days for processing before inquiring about your application. You will have the ability to track documentation, such as transcripts and letters of reference, using the online application account you will set up during the application process as described below.
Complete the following steps in order:
- Application for undergraduate admission and application fee. For currently enrolled, full-time VCU students, an application fee is not required. When prompted for payment, select Pay by Check. You will be notified if you are not eligible for waiver of the application fee.
After clicking on the link above, click on Apply for Readmission or Transfer Undergraduate Admission, and create an account.
- Once you have selected your log-in and password, please keep a record of these in a safe place as you will need them to re-enter the system to check on the status of your documents.
- Under Select an Application, select Transfer - Allied Health majors.
- Follow the instructions for each page. For the brief personal statement portion, enter “Not Applicable.” You will be asked to submit a personal statement in Step 2.
The application must be submitted prior to completing steps 2, 3 and 4.
- Supplemental information – In this section of the application, you will be asked to complete additional information which will be submitted electronically.
This form must be submitted prior to asking your references to submit a recommendation for you. A confirmation email will be submitted upon receipt.
- Two personal references from college-level math or science instructors. Ask your recommenders to submit the online reference form by providing the URL for the appropriate link below along with your full name, date of birth, email address and full mailing address. Paper references are not accepted.
A confirmation email will be sent to you upon successful submission of each reference.
The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 and its amendments guarantee students access to their educational records. Students, however, are entitled to waive their rights of access concerning recommendations. Choose between the following two links to indicate your wish regarding each reference.
Please note that the applicant information that your recommenders submit must be exactly the same as the applicant information that you submit on your supplemental material form or your recommenders will not be able to submit a reference form on your behalf.
Yes, I waive my rights to inspect the contents of this recommendation
Waived reference form
No, I do not waive my rights to inspect the contents of this recommendation
Not waived reference form
- Transcripts – All courses taken, except at VCU, must be submitted on an official transcript from the institution where the courses were taken. This includes, but is not limited to, courses accepted for transfer credit at another institution, dual enrollment and study abroad. All institutions attended, including VCU (if applicable), must be listed on the application during the online process. Failure to comply with these instructions will result in the application being considered incomplete. Transcripts may either be sent from the institution directly to VCU or to you. However, please remember not to open any transcript. Doing so will render the document unofficial and will not be considered for your application. Transcripts must be sealed, signed across the seal by a college official and mailed to the VCU Office of Admissions on the Monroe Park Campus at P.O. Box 842526, Richmond, VA 23284-2526.
To confirm receipt of your transcripts, log into your application (see Step 1).
- Proof of English proficiency – Since lectures, laboratory instructions and written and oral examinations are conducted in English, you must be proficient in the language. If your native language is not exclusively English, you must satisfy VCU’s English proficiency requirement before you can be admitted into the program in one of the following ways:
VCU also considers other factors affecting English language proficiency, such as amount and type of formal U.S. education and standardized test scores.
- Present an official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score. The following qualifiers must be submitted to meet the English language requisite: 80iBT or 6.0 IELTS academic band score (undergraduate). If you have taken the TOEFL or IELTS, your official score report must be sent to the university directly from the testing service.
General information for all applicants to VCU
In-state tuition eligibility
All applicants are considered nonresidents for tuition purposes. To be considered for in-state tuition, you will need to complete the online application for in-state tuition which will be made available to you during the online application process.
Applicants planning to apply for financial aid should initiate the process as soon as possible. Please visit the VCU Financial Aid website for additional information.