Virginia Commonwealth University

Make it real.

Undergraduate Admissions

Not an incoming freshman? Not a transfer student? All you need to know about applying to VCU is right here.

Other applicants

Not everyone applying to VCU is an incoming freshman or a transfer student. If you don’t fit into either of those categories, the information below may be useful to you.

Nondegree-seeking students

Students who meet the requirements for undergraduate eligibility may enroll for credit as nondegree-seeking students. This status does not require an application for admission through the Office of Admissions, but registration is required through Records and Registration. Enrollment as a nondegree student does not ensure later admission as a degree-seeking student. Continuance in this status is dependent on academic performance.

Nondegree-seeking student classifications:

  • Nondegree holder: A student who has not previously earned a baccalaureate degree and is limited to taking a maximum of 11 credits per semester.
  • Degree holder: A student who has earned a baccalaureate degree at VCU or another accredited institution and is limited to taking 19 credits per semester.
  • Transient student: This student is presently seeking a baccalaureate degree at another institution of higher education and wishes to enroll in courses at VCU for no more than two semesters with the intent of transferring course work to the home institution for degree completion. The student must present a letter from the home institution approving the student’s status as a transient student at VCU.

How to enroll and register as a nondegree-seeking student

Visiting students who meet the requirements established by the VCU Bulletin may register as special students during the fall, spring and summer sessions.

Visiting students who are presently seeking a baccalaureate degree at another institution of higher education may register as transient students at VCU by meeting the following criteria.

  • Transient students must be in good standing at their home institutions.
  • Transient students may register for most courses, including upper-division business courses, with approval of their home institution and the appropriate VCU office.

If this is your initial registration at VCU, you will need to register in person at the Student Services Center on the first floor of Grace E. Harris Hall, 1015 Floyd Ave. Following that initial registration, most scheduling changes can be made online.

Bring a picture ID and the following forms for your visit:

Permanent residents

Professor with student

Applicants who are not U.S. citizens but are authorized to live and work in the U.S. on a permanent basis are able to apply for admission to VCU as degree-seeking freshmen or transfer students. In addition to providing all required application materials, permanent residents must meet English language proficiency by meeting at least one of the following criteria:

  • Native language is English
  • Reside in the U.S. for 10 or more years
  • Score at least 400 on the critical reading portion of the SAT
  • Complete six semester hours of college-level English with the grade of C or better (excluding ESL classes)
  • Present a TOEFL score of 80 or more on the Internet-based test

For information about when materials are due, please see our freshman application deadlines.

For information about when materials are due, please see our transfer student application deadlines.

International students

International students are defined as those who are neither U.S. citizens, permanent residents of the U.S., or those granted asylee or refugee status by the U.S. government. In addition to presenting grades (marks) that reflect superior ability and serious effort, international applicants must demonstrate satisfactory academic achievement, adequate English language proficiency and the ability to finance their education.

Post-baccalaureate certificate students

Students who hold a bachelor’s degree and wish to continue their education by completing a certificate program are classified as post-baccalaureate certificate applicants.

The Office of Admissions processes applications for the post-baccalaureate programs in computer science, statistics, accounting, information systems, Spanish/English translation and interpretation, and human resource management only. Students who wish to apply for admission consideration into post-baccalaureate programs other than these should visit the website of the school or department in which the program is housed.

Returning applicants

VCU students are deemed returning applicants and must reapply for admission and submit an application fee if they have:

  • Not attended VCU in a degree program for three or more successive fall and spring semesters (excluding summer sessions)
  • Been suspended from VCU
  • Attended another college or university since attending VCU and wish to return after the allowable absence period as stated in No. 1 above

All applicants are required to complete the Application for Undergraduate Admission. Read all application requirements carefully. Applications will be reviewed when all required materials have been received by the Office of Admissions.

Applicants with disabilities

VCU is committed to providing students with disabilities equal opportunities to benefit from all programs, services and activities offered. Students with disabilities are responsible for self-identification prior to requesting services and may do so at any time by presenting the appropriate documentation to the Disability Support Services coordinator. For more information, call Disability Support Services at (804) 828-2253 or visit

Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies applicants

Applicants must also complete a supplemental application. For more information about the B.I.S. call (804) 827-8648.

School of the Arts applicants

In addition to the university Application for Undergraduate Admission, all applicants to the School of the Arts must submit supplemental materials as described at The School of the Arts application review committee reviews all applications to programs in the School of the Arts.

For additional information, including program deadlines, visit You may also contact the School of the Arts by email at, or by phone at (804) 828-2787 or our toll-free number, (866) 534-3201.

MCV Campus applicants

MCV Campus applicants (clinical laboratory sciences, clinical radiation sciences, dental hygiene and nursing) must complete the departmental application packet for their program. Supplemental materials are available online only. All documents should be returned to the addresses listed on the forms.

Honors/Guaranteed Admission applicants

A separate application is required for admission into both The Honors College and the Guaranteed Admission program and is available online. For more information, call (804) 828-1803, email or visit

VCU Ram fans
VCU student dorms