Virginia Commonwealth University

Make it real.

Undergraduate Admissions

For information on dual enrollment, transferring credits from a community college, recommended courses and much more.

Transfer students

Where do I find the Transfer Guide?

The VCU Transfer Guide is available online. The VCU Transfer Guide provides detailed information on transfer policies, the state policy on transfer agreement and course equivalencies. The Transfer Center website contains information on recommended first- and second-year Virginia community college and Richard Bland College courses for all programs of study offered at VCU.

Does VCU accept course work taken through dual enrollment?

Yes, VCU enthusiastically accepts dual enrollment credit and applies this credit toward students’ intended programs of study. Students must request the college that awards the dual enrollment credit to send a transcript to VCU prior to attending New Student Orientation to ensure that credits are properly awarded and that advisers do not recommend that students enroll in classes for which they have already received college credit.

How much time do I have to submit courses for evaluation if I want to receive transfer credit?

Before the end of the first semester of enrollment, dual-enrollment transcripts and scores for the Advanced Placement test of the College Entrance Examination Board, International Baccalaureate Diploma or Cambridge International Examination are required to be submitted to the appropriate VCU offices to be eligible for academic credit.

How many total credits will VCU accept from another institution?

VCU will accept a maximum of 90 transferable credit hours from another four-year college or university; however, students must complete at least 30 of their last 45 credit hours at VCU (called the “residency requirement”) in order to earn a degree from VCU. From two-year colleges, VCU will accept a maximum of 63 credit hours. If students take more than 63 credit hours from a community college, the 63 credits that are most applicable to the intended major and general education requirements will be accepted.

I took ENGL 112 at the community college. How does it transfer to VCU?

All VCU students are required to take UNIV 111, 112 (Focused Inquiry I and II) and UNIV 200. UNIV 111-112 is a two-semester sequence that is required of all first-year students and provides the foundation of the Core Education Program. UNIV 200 is a one-semester writing and rhetoric course. ENGL 111-112 taken through the Virginia Community College System will transfer to VCU as UNIV 111-112 and 200, with zero credits given for UNIV 111, with the course requirement waived and 6 credits given for UNIV 112 and UNIV 200. Transfer credits are not accepted for these courses after a student is enrolled at the university.

When do I receive an evaluation of my transfer credit at VCU?

You can expect to receive your transfer credit evaluation during the New Student Orientation that will be held prior to your first semester at VCU. At this time, an academic adviser will explain how courses taken at your previous institution(s) apply toward your VCU major. If you wish to discuss your transfer credits prior to the orientation program, you may do so by calling the Transfer Center at (804) 827-1349 to speak with a transfer adviser.

Do my transfer courses affect my VCU GPA?

No, your VCU GPA will be based on courses taken at VCU only. There are only three times when grades from other colleges and universities you attended will be considered:

  • Upon applying to VCU, a minimum 2.5 in all non-developmental hours attempted at all accredited colleges you attended is recommended for admission (although some majors require a higher GPA for direct admission).
  • Certain programs that have selective admissions (including nursing, allied health professions and engineering) will likely consider all grades ever taken at a college or university.
  • To qualify for graduation with honors, both your VCU grades and grades accepted for transfer at VCU will be considered.
Student on campus